Review of the best vegetable steamers
We can’t talk about the best vegetable steamers without talking about the best vegetables to steam, but we will get to that in a moment. In this guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about buying a vegetable steamer and how to use one.
What Is a Vegetable Steamer?
A vegetable steamer is a small kitchen appliance that uses steam to cook the food. This device is used by placing the vegetable in a sealed vessel where it’s in constant contact with hot steam. Because of this sealed vessel, the hot air and liquid can’t escape the container, so they continually heat the vegetable. The pressure nozzle is used to let some air escape, creating a limit for the pressure so that the vessel won’t break.
Before we get to the best vegetable steamers on the market, let’s talk about some of the veggies that you can cook with this tool.
Best Vegetables to Steam and Ways to Make Them Tastier
• Artichokes: This vegetable is definitely one of the best vegetables to steam. It is a solid vegetable that can be seasoned with lemon zest and olive oil. Remember that artichokes need a period between twenty-five and forty minutes of steaming to be properly cooked.
• Broccoli: Broccoli is by far one of the healthiest vegetables out there. The reason why it’s included on this list is that while it’s not a hard vegetable, it doesn’t turn to mush when it hits the steam. Steam time: seven minutes to twelve minutes. You can use balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and lime juice to add more flavor.
• Beans: When it comes to steaming vegetables, you cannot beat the classic steamed beans. After you finished cooking them for ten minutes, season them with garlic, and you will obtain a great and tasty dish.
• Carrots: If you have sensitive teeth and don’t want to dig in a hard carrot you can try to steam it. No list of the best vegetables to steam is complete without the “old school” carrot. Use cinnamon and honey to season them and give them some extra sweetness. Carrots can be steamed for only ten minutes.
• Corn on the cob: Good for kids and adults, steamed corn is one of the simplest and most delicious vegetables out there. It can be a perfect side dish for chicken. Also, it’s a great option if you don’t want to spend a lot of time in front of a stove. You can steam it anywhere between seven and ten minutes.
• Potatoes: The omnipresent potatoes are some of the best vegetables to steam. Just like the corn, they are best served with chicken. Steamed potatoes are delicious, and you can prepare them how you want. You can slice them, use new potatoes or sweet potatoes and it takes you only five to twelve minutes of steaming, depending on the size of the vegetables. Fresh parsley and dill are a must if you want to complete such a dish.
• Peas: Pretty straightforward with this one. Steam them for four to seven minutes and then season them with mint and lemon juice.
• Celery: You can use celery stalks or their root and steam them anywhere from five to nine minutes. You can use seeds to give them flavor.
• Cabbage: Cut the cabbage into wedges and steam it for a maximum of ten minutes. You can dress it with lemon juice and olive oil.
• Cauliflower: We know that some of you might not like cauliflower, but when it hits the steam, it turns into something absolutely delicious. Keep it in the steamer for five to ten minutes and apply some olive oil or lemon juice over it.
Top Vegetable Steamers
1. The Norpro Stainless Steamer, Juicer (Amazon link)
When it comes to steaming food, especially vegetables, there is no better product out there than the Norpro Stainless Steamer. This thing is huge, but you know the saying, either go big or go home.
The Norpro contains the following items: an 11.75-quart steamer insert, 7.25-quart water pot, a 4-quart juice container and it also comes packed with a rubber tube and clamp. It’s made out of stainless steel, so you don’t have to worry that it is a cheap and easily degradable material or that you will break it.
It’s easy to use, and you can pretty much use it on a daily basis. Moreover, this tool doesn’t only steam your vegetables. The Norpro Stainless Steamer can also be used as a juicer. Everybody loves a two in one, especially if it’s a kitchen appliance.
If you want the best steamed vegetables, then you will have to use the Norpro Stainless Steamer. You won’t regret it, and your family and friends will thank you for you for the meals.
2. The Topoko Stainless Steel Vegetable Steamer and Pasta Steamer (Amazon link)
Seriously, you can’t escape appliances that can be used for multiple purposes.
Take the Topoko, another two in one vegetable steamer that can also be used as a pasta steamer. It’s made out of stainless steel, like any reliable kitchen appliance, it’s durable and easy to store. Because it’s made out of stainless steel, you won’t risk leaking BPA (like other appliances made out of plastic) or other toxins in the food you are cooking. So it’s safe for everyone to use. It’s made out of a four quart Saucepot, and it can be ordered with a 9.5-inch fry pan.
You can talk about the best vegetables to steam all you want, but with this steamer, you won’t have any time to discuss because you will be too busy cooking.
3. The Steam Juicer by Victorio (Amazon link)
If you’re looking for a premium way to steam your vegetables, you’ve just found it.
Victorio’s Steam Juicer is made from stainless steel, so the quality material is not a subject for discussion. This product can be used as a steamer (not only for vegetables), juicer or stock pot. Only the best products can be used in a multitude of ways, and the Victorio Steam Juicer is no different.
The stock pot can hold up to eight quarts of food, the juicer can hold up to four quarts, and the colander can bear up to eight quarts. This product even comes with a five-year warranty, as if being made by stainless steel wasn’t an attractive factor enough.
If you are looking for the best vegetables to steam, you better get the Victorio Steam Juicer first.
That’s a long name for a vegetable steamer, but it has the word “art” in it so you can only expect the best out of this appliance.
This set contains a twelve-quart stockpot, steamer basket, pasta insert, and lid. Also, it’s needless to say that it’s all made out of stainless steel.
It’s a gorgeous set to behold, and it’s also easy to wash. Moreover, it comes with a limited lifetime warranty. You should definitely jump on this one if you have a list of the best vegetables to steam in mind.
5. The Sunsella Vegetable Steamer (Amazon link)
Sometimes, the best vegetables to steam require the simplest of tools, but that doesn’t mean that we are talking about a low-quality device.
The Sunsella Vegetable Steamer looks easy to use and simple. And it is. But while it may give you the impression that this vegetable steamer is cheap and it can break in an instant, we can assure you that this is not the case. It’s made out of stainless steel, and it’s hard as a tank.
You can steam any type of vegetable with this tool, so get your cookbook and get to work.
Two Recipes You Can Try
• 4 methods to spice up your steamed veggies (Youtube link): It’s not a recipe per se, but it presents some tricks you can try to add more flavor to your dishes. If you’re tired of using only olive oil to season your steamed vegetables, then you can watch this video and get some inspiration.
• Steamed cabbage (Youtube link): All you need for this recipe is a cabbage cut in half, red, yellow and green peppers to add some color to your dish, five garlic cloves, and a carrot. Cut them in medium pieces and put them in a pot. Cook them with the lid on without using any oils or water. You can add some condiments to the mix, and after five to ten minutes of cooking, it’s ready to be served. It’s a super simple and delicious recipe that you can try for a family dinner.
Keep in mind that steamed vegetables do not have to be bland. If you are looking for ways to spice up your veggies, check out our tips for making delicious-tasting vegan recipes!
Vegetable steamers are the way to go if you want to have a simple and healthy dish. They are easy to use, clean and store and some of them are even multipurpose. Most of them come in stainless steel, but you can use other vegetable steamers that are made from hard plastic.
Moreover, they are affordable and come in different sizes, so you will definitely find one to your liking. Just keep in mind the list of the best vegetables to steam and you’re good to go.
So, get a vegetable steamer now and start cooking like a pro.
Are you looking for more creative vegan-friendly eating ideas? What’s the opposite of steaming vegetables? How about drying out fruit for a healthy snack?